Monday, August 18, 2008

Provoleta

This is one of my favorite Argentine foods that only seems to be available here. Usually it is served at a Parrilla, a place where they grill and specialize in meat. They take a hunk of provolone cheese and throw it on the grill. Amazingly, it doesn't melt through the grill but instead becomes nice and crusty on the outside and all melty inside. The top it with some olive oil and oregano or possibly something like sundried tomatoes. It is totally yummy - like a cheesy pizza without the crust.

I've tried making this in San Francisco, but the cheese doesn't seem to be the right kind. When I make it here, the cheese melts and forms a crust. When I make it at home, the crusty part separates from the rest of the cheese and it just doesn't work. I think this must be a special formulation of provolone cheese designed specifically for provoleta. In the supermarket, they sell it in a package and it is labeled "provoleta". I wish I could bring some back to SF with me.

No comments: