Thursday, July 5, 2007

Pasta

In San Francisco, I know of two places that sell "homemade" ravioli, and they both get booming business. Here, there are shops everywhere that sell homemade pasta. They are totally unobtrusive, and probably even more common than McDonalds. I like that pasta is such a big thing here, even thought it doesn't even come close to my mom's.Today in the cafeteria they had gnocchi. I don't know why. Last Friday, June 29, was the day that everyone eats gnocchi. The 29th of every month, you are supposed to each gnocchi. It is also a custom to put money under the plates. There are different theories about where this custom comes from, but in general it has to do with gnocchi being cheap, the 29th being a time of the month when there isn't a lot of money around, and the money under the plate, wishing for good luck and prosperity. It's a nice custom, even though I didn't eat gnocchi last Friday.

No comments: